Review on engine oil

wildarms

background, my few bro and mysef set out to try several type of different engine oil in our trial include

Castrol 10W60, Motul 15W50, Shell Racing 10W60, Agip 10W60, Liqui Moly 10W60.

the engine oil testing was mainly used in NSHW and Sepang circuit during track and time attack, we are not paid by any brand owner to any word favourable to them, but would also like to thank the brand owner for letting us try out the product.

All reading are recorded via AIM Datalogger x 2 and 1 x Racepak Datalogger on 3 different car, AIM and Racepak datalogger are reputable race data anaysis manufacturer hence if any questions to the reading reliability you can contact me directly for verfication to have a look at the data.

welcome all bro to contribute to the thread if possible

wildarms

Agip 10W60 : had been running Agip 10W60 last year September time attack, although during the actual race 2 of the trial car pull out due to weather, for most of the track event during practise both car were running well.

I had recorded a oil temp of around 120 degree nearly 130 for both car which happen to be on 2 different datalogger AIM and Racepak, also to note that both car is using dual air cool oil cooler and water to oil heat exchanger hence any temp near the 130 mark is consider HOT.

if the car are out for 3-4 lap before 1 hot lap, the temp would be abit too high for comfort to run the car on high boost, nevertheless due to both car never really trial out the car during the actaul time attack therefore we reserve further comment

wildarms

Shell Racing 10W60: try out the oil during a track event, similary 2 car were trying out the this oil.

my personal take and feel its good when the oil is fresh after a certain mileage like 2000km over sluggish, but feel is alway just feel, back to actual trial during the track event.

a same number of lap was put in, at about the same sort of weather, as to the difference in intake airtemp, air humidity, and other stats i should not go into but its almost identical, again reading from the 2 datalogger is within 1-2% of each other.

The temperature was slightly lower at around 120 degree somewhere between 120-125 degree, which is effectively about 2-3 degree lower then the oil previously tested, we were pretty happy with the way it cool down as well.

wildarms

Liqui Moly 10W60: for this oil 3 car was on trial instead on 2 with the 3rd car running AIM datalogger as well.

overall impression on NSHW was quite immediate as the oil seem to lubricate better but again we do not do any review base on feel, hence a check across 3 data logger shows that on highway at the same driving pattern we achieve 1-2 degree lower at any 1 point of time, note that the weather was around the same, same set off timing, maximum 1-2 degree air temp difference across all 3 oil.

during tracking and warm up, all 3 car datalogger shows that Liqui Moly 10W60 is in fact 2-3 degree lower with a reading of not more then 122 degree not lower then 118 degree as well, achieve much rapid cool down comparing to Shell 10W60.

again due to weather, only 1 car participate on the actual time attack which was a wet race, as to how he feel the oil and data reading from the datalogger i would let him continue from here.

aks

Allow me to contribute some extra informations with regards to engine lubrication:
Any lab test on the oil used after the track?The reason why i'm asking is because my nature of job involves designing & building industrial heavy machineries which are required to run 24/7. Other then oil temperature monitoring, we drain the lubricating oil out after test benching our prototype machineries & send them for laboratory testing and analysis.

Here's an article on what to look out for (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm)

Rock

yes i think it would be really helpful if some lab can provide analysis support and with data taken from datalogger for us to understand more

aks said:
Allow me to contribute some extra informations with regards to engine lubrication:
Any lab test on the oil used after the track?The reason why i'm asking is because my nature of job involves designing & building industrial heavy machineries which are required to run 24/7. Other then oil temperature monitoring, we drain the lubricating oil out after test benching our prototype machineries & send them for laboratory testing and analysis.

Here's an article on what to look out for (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whatisoilanalysis.htm)

My personal thoughts on engine oil - oil temp & viscosity plays a part, especially if the engine is blueprinted. Engine builders will give the best advise for the correct rating based on their clearances
But running too cold is never good as we have to factor in fuel dilution

Cheers

Here is my simple data on the different types of engine oil I've used on Sepang .

So far my take on LiquidMoly 10W-60 after trying for the first time , even now after coming back from Sepang 8 weeks ago with still the same oil , engine is remarkably smooth. Not like some other oil where you can feel the roughness at 3000km mileage . Only Mutul V300 comes close but Mutul is very ex .

My last Oil temp is way below 100 in Sepang even though I was pushing hard . But to be fair it is raining on track that day .

On a normally sunny day in Sepang , it is very easy for my car to exceed 130 degrees when using supersport mode / 1.6 bar boost during 2 superlaps . Will keep updating after every track .

Attachments

wah swee i buay hiao upload haha...my data too many dunno how to pull out and upload...

Mave7221 said:
Here is my simple data on the different types of engine oil I've used on Sepang .

So far my take on LiquidMoly 10W-60 after trying for the first time , even now after coming back from Sepang 8 weeks ago with still the same oil , engine is remarkably smooth. Not like some other oil where you can feel the roughness at 3000km mileage . Only Mutul V300 comes close but Mutul is very ex .

My last Oil temp is way below 100 in Sepang even though I was pushing hard . But to be fair it is raining on track that day .

On a normally sunny day in Sepang , it is very easy for my car to exceed 130 degrees when using supersport mode / 1.6 bar boost during 2 superlaps . Will keep updating after every track .

When i was tracking i tried various types of oil and could never reduce below 125deg at sepang. At the highest, peak temps were around 140deg with my original stock cooler and thermostat.

What worked for me was a secondary oil cooler and tomei thermostat killer - with this combo my max oil temps were reduced to around 115-118deg after 2-3 hot laps. Of the mods, the tomei thermostat killer was the more bang for buck.

kuvesh said:
When i was tracking i tried various types of oil and could never reduce below 125deg at sepang. At the highest, peak temps were around 140deg with my original stock cooler and thermostat.

What worked for me was a secondary oil cooler and tomei thermostat killer - with this combo my max oil temps were reduced to around 115-118deg after 2-3 hot laps. Of the mods, the tomei thermostat killer was the more bang for buck.
Too bad I didn't record my temps before installation of HKS oil cooler and HKS thermostat .

But you are absolutely right . The thermostat is damn cheap and bang for buck !

I recommended Alan9955 to install the HKS thermostat . He also said damn good can really see the difference .

Mave7221 said:

Hi this oil?