fc and maintenance for evo 9

Hi,

currently searching for a stock/lightly mod evo 9.

I travel about 100km on average a day, close to 80% high way. I was wondering if the FC would be reasonable. I heard that 8+/l is achievable. Im currently driving a merc and the fc is about 11 so a drop to 8 is still acceptable to me.

Is it easy to service or repair an evo 9 considering that it is close to extinction? Most of the E9 now is renewed coe, i wonder if there is parts for the next few years...

Thanks!

crunch

Hi,

currently searching for a stock/lightly mod evo 9.

I travel about 100km on average a day, close to 80% high way. I was wondering if the FC would be reasonable. I heard that 8+/l is achievable. Im currently driving a merc and the fc is about 11 so a drop to 8 is still acceptable to me.

Is it easy to service or repair an evo 9 considering that it is close to extinction? Most of the E9 now is renewed coe, i wonder if there is parts for the next few years...

Thanks!
Bolt on mods with stock turbo should get you about 8km/L as you mentioned. Expect to do major servicing once you take over the car, front/rear diff, transfer case/GB, timing belt. I am not too worried about parts, as the support from japan/USA is still relatively strong.

Lmodel

Achieving 8km/l with 80% highway is highly possible unless you are constantly stuck in a jam or if you are WOOT-happy.

There are many workshops around that can service Evo. On the parts, we have AE86, S13, EG6, etc which are older and still running well.

Thanks for the advise. Currently shortlisted 2 unit. both is about 200k mileage, even thou there's receipt for top overhaul etc, Im actually mentally preparing myself for the worse. I wonder if the E9 engine and 5 speeder gb can last me up to 300k mileage or more?

Should i need to overhaul the engine or gb, wad would be the cost like?

Im also planning to do a makeover of the interior with alcantara ...

Thanks

crunch

Thanks for the advise. Currently shortlisted 2 unit. both is about 200k mileage, even thou there's receipt for top overhaul etc, Im actually mentally preparing myself for the worse. I wonder if the E9 engine and 5 speeder gb can last me up to 300k mileage or more?

Should i need to overhaul the engine or gb, wad would be the cost like?

Im also planning to do a makeover of the interior with alcantara ...

Thanks
Get a compression test done. In general the 5speed RS/GT is stronger than the 6speeds on the GSR

Hi,

what would the compression test reveal? Sorry cause new to performance car.

was surfing forum and came across the transfer case issue which cause the whining sound from gb... suddenly rmb 1 of the E9 i view had this whine...

crunch

Hi,

what would the compression test reveal? Sorry cause new to performance car.

was surfing forum and came across the transfer case issue which cause the whining sound from gb... suddenly rmb 1 of the E9 i view had this whine...
Your compression off all 4 cylinders should only be +- 10 PSI apart. It would reveal the health of the engine, it is the same for all piston engines. If you are interested in one, just bring it down to your frequent workshop and have them run a compression test and check the chassis for any weld marks indicating accident repairs.

Ahh okay. thanks!

the vehicle had the top block overhaul last year at malaysia, Since the mileage is high, i might have to overhaul lower block next time lol. My friend is asking me to sent to ST powered to check as it is his regular workshop.

Just curious,

the car comes with 38mm spacer front and back, would it drastically affect the handling? Im not looking to hardcore track it, but maybe once in a while spirited driving lol. It also has wide bodykit and I was told that the E9 has pass lta inspection or lta stop so far.

Gotten a potential buyer for my car today and it seems that e9 is closer to reality than before...

biggest worries now is changing frm a merc to e9, i wonder if i can live with the harshness for the next few years... hahaha

crunch

Ahh okay. thanks!

the vehicle had the top block overhaul last year at malaysia, Since the mileage is high, i might have to overhaul lower block next time lol. My friend is asking me to sent to ST powered to check as it is his regular workshop.

Just curious,

the car comes with 38mm spacer front and back, would it drastically affect the handling? Im not looking to hardcore track it, but maybe once in a while spirited driving lol. It also has wide bodykit and I was told that the E9 has pass lta inspection or lta stop so far.

Gotten a potential buyer for my car today and it seems that e9 is closer to reality than before...

biggest worries now is changing frm a merc to e9, i wonder if i can live with the harshness for the next few years... hahaha
Once you take apart the engine, you would be doing both top and the bottom end and have the timing belt, waterpump, oil pump changed at the same time, so if you rebuild your engine its best everything is done at one shot.

38mm spacer is a bit too much in my own opinion, I would never recommend running spacers, and if I were to recommend the use of one, it would be max 20mm hub centric ones. I wouldn't worry about the wide body if it is the voltex kit.

Ahh icic. Yea it is voltex kit. The car is on stock clutch, been feels abit hard to depress but still pretty solid.

I notice a trend with most of the E9 I view is that when I go for a test drive with the owner, they tend to start pulling frm gear 2, is the gear 1 prone to breaking or something?

Thanks

Ahh icic. Yea it is voltex kit. The car is on stock clutch, been feels abit hard to depress but still pretty solid.

I notice a trend with most of the E9 I view is that when I go for a test drive with the owner, they tend to start pulling frm gear 2, is the gear 1 prone to breaking or something?

Thanks
Do note that the voltex wide body requires the cutting of the rear fender, meaning you can no longer revert back to stock body look, make sure you can live with that when deciding on your purchase.

Stock clutch is supposed to be soft, maybe the clutch master/slave cylinder is on its way out?

We do pull from gear 1, but since our gear ratio is so short, we just start pulling from 2nd.